Thursday, February 3, 2011

Reader Response

Reader Response

I am responding to “Tupac Shakur, The Life and Times of an American Icon”. It is written by Tayannah Lee McQuillar and Fred L. Johnson. I have read 249 out of 249 pages.
 The genre of this text is biography. I know this because it is based on a real person’s life story. This Biography’s protagonist is Tupac Shakur (2pac).  This article does not have an antagonist because it is a biography. The setting of biography during Tupac’s child/teenage years takes place in Baltimore, New York. The adult years take place in L.A (Las Anglos), California. This biography talks about the life of the famous American “Rap” artist who was murdered in 1996. It starts from when he was a child all the way until he is an adult. The conflict of Tupac’s life is that his mother wasn’t really there for him when he was a kid, which led him into hanging out with the wrong people. She was in and out of the house. Tupac has several Biography movies out and has starred in over a dozen movies!
Retell
The main idea of this biography is life that life isn’t always easy and you sometimes need to take some risks. Tupac was an amazing poet as a child. When Tupac was young the other kids would make fun of him because his strange names and torn-up clothes. Tupac only had 3 pairs of pants and a few shirts. The “Black kids” would make fun of Tupac because he wrote poetry and was horrible at basketball. Tupac was actually born in jail (his mother was pregnant when she was serving time). Tupac mom Afeni, was in jail for stealing when Tupac was born. As a young child Tupac stayed with his aunt Gloria. As he got older he stayed with his mother, who was hardly home. Tupac’s mother never taught him how to cook. He had to learn himself. Tupac’s best friends from when he was a kid were Jada Pinkett and John Cole. Tupac was friends with them until he died. Tupac would go to John’s house as much as he could because it was warm and had food. When Tupac was a teenager he had to bring his mom home marijuana and when she didn’t show up for it, he decided to smoke it. That is how Tupac first started doing drugs. When Tupac turned 17 he joined “Digital Underground” and became “2pac”. 2pac was very popular and eventuality left “Digital Underground” and made his own album2pacalypse Now”. After that 2pac became even more popular and made many more albums. 2pac became good friends with Biggie Smalls, which was a big mistake. Biggie just used 2pac to become popular and when 2pac was in jail Biggie claimed to me number 1. When 2pac was done with Biggie, he joined “Death Row Records”.
Relate
I can relate to this biography to the world. I say this because there are a lot of kids going through hard times and don’t have the best lives. Some kids have parents that do drugs; the kids can’t do anything about it. Other kids don’t have parents to take care of them. And some kids are raised on the streets! That would be a hard life and 2pac had to go through it. That is how I can relate to this biography.
Reflect
I would like to read another book about 2pac. His life is very interesting and I think it can be made into some good realistic fiction books.  I admire Tupac and think of him as a role model. I say this because he had a hard life but he still became very successful. I would like to meet Tupac and ask him about his life, what he thought about and how he survived.

14 comments:

  1. Ajay,
    your reader response is very well written with lots of information. When i was reading it, I could hear your voice coming through, so as far as the whole voice concept you have it down pat.The formating of your reader response was great!
    p.s I love your blog's style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you identified the main idea in your biography! Your summary paragraph was well done and highlighted some of the key aspects of Tupac's life.

    Unfortunately, you chose the wrong box at the top of the reader response description to respond to (you did the fiction side), so you missed out on some essential elements of the non-fiction (e.g. point of view). If possible, add a new post with this paragraph redone. :)

    Your blog design is attractive and looks professionally put together. I thought your suggestion of using Tupac's life as a basis for realistic fiction was a creative one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how your reader response had information your biography presentation didn't. Like how you felt about him. In your presentation you didn't include much of how you felt but now I know how your perspective of him is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this reader response because you included your personal feelings about Tupac. That is a great way to include voice. I also liked your text to world connection that you made because in a lot of texts, that is hard to do. Good job Ajay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ajay your blog site is real interesting. I love the background as it seemed to speak the book you chose. Life with some darkness but elements of light leading to beauty in the form of music. As you can imagine I don't listen to this type of music very much so I particularly enjoyed reading about Tupac. He is an artist I know nothing about. Thank you for enlightening my life. A question: Is it possible to acknowledge someone as a role model and hold entirely different value system?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ajay, I really liked you reader response.
    The summary was well put together!
    Also, I liked how you made a text-to-world connection. (I don`t see those very often anymore in reader responses)You also added alot of voice.. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your reader response. It was well written and you added a lot of voice in it. I also like how you made connections with the biography you were reading.
    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ajay, I remember hearing on the news when Tupac died. There was much controversy surrounding Tupac and his death. He definitely had an interesting life. I didn't know he was friends with Jada Pinkett. It is interesting how two friends can end up in totally different directions in life. Why do you think so many teenagers love/loved Tupac, a man who made many poor choices? Miss W

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ajay, I especially enjoyed your reader response because you put alot of voice and detail into it. I liked your retell section because you summarized Tupac's life well without making it too long. It's hard not to feel for him because he had a difficult childhood and even though he became very successful he died young. I like that you are interested in Tupac and are interested in reading another book about him instead of choosing a biography about someone that you don't really care about. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, I never knew who he was until just now and like (almost) every great rapper, they had a pretty sad childhood. I liked how you explained his whole life from beggining to end (childhood to adulthood). You also explained and related it to the world, and that was very good, because I too can relate to that and say what I have to say. Also the questions you asked are good to, I would ask what advice would you give to troubled kids in need today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your biography!
    The format is clean and easy to follow. I learned knew things from your reader response that wasn't in your presentation. Overall great job!:)

    p.s. I like your blog title:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really like your reading response. you add lots of details and you also used a lot of voice in your reader response.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job ajay. I never atually knew Tupac until I read your reader response. It was very well written and had a lot of detail. You also inluded a lot of voice and I knew that you enjoyed the book very much. Keepp it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on your blog. I didn't know about tupoc untill you talked about him. It seems all rappers have a bad childhood. So what's wrong with that song Hit em up?

    ReplyDelete