Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reader Response #2

Reader Response
      I am responding to “Ghost Ride” by Marina Cohen. I have read 86 out of 181 pages. This novel is fiction.
     The main character in this novel is a 14 year old boy named Sam. He is the protagonist.  The antagonist is a boy named Walter. This novel is fiction because it involves ghosts and un-realistic stunts.

 
 
Retell
      This story takes place in a town called Sleepy Hallow (like the legend). It takes place in modern day. Sam is a new kid who moves into Sleep Hallow on his first day of high school. Sam lives next door to a really weird kid named Walter. Walter is a geek. Walter likes to spy on Sam. Sam misses his friends at his old school but he has made some new ones. Sam’s new friends are a not the best crowd. He hangs out with a kid named Cody Barns AKA Maniac. Cody does crazy stunts that can get him killed. Cody asks Sam if he wants to join in on a stunt and Sam says yes.  Sam is going to go do a stunt with Cody at midnight... That is what has happened in my book so far.

Relate      I can relate this book to a book I have read called “Word Nerd”. In word nerd Ambrose (the main character) moves and goes to a new school and gets bullied. Sam does not get bullied but Cody made fun of him before they became friends. Sam and the Ambrose were both sad when they moved schools and left their homes. This novel also reminds me of the super hero “Ghost Rider”. I say this because Ghost Rider is a super hero who does crazy stunts, and in this book Cody does crazy stunts. This book is also called “Ghost Ride” so it sounds like the super hero. That is how I relate to this book.

Reflect
I like this book so far. I think it is interesting and each chapter ends with a cliff hanger. I think Sam is going to get hurt when he is doing a stunt with Cody, or maybe Cody will get hurt. If one of them gets hurt they can get into trouble. What if they run into something “out of the ordinary” like ghosts. I think this because title of the book is “Ghost Ride”. That is what I think about this book.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you featured the book cover on your blog! This book sounds suspenseful and reminds me of my younger brother in his teen days when he would try dangerous stunts. Does the author's writing style flow well? Is she a descriptive writer? Do you think that female writers can describe teen males as effectively if they haven't truly lived that life?

    You have the basics of a response here, Ajay, but you could go much deeper with your relations, your reflections, and your amount of detail in your explanations. I would also like to see more narrative element vocabulary (theme, setting, foreshadowing, conflict, climax, etc.) to show your growth as a reader this year. Look at many of your peers' responses to see how much more you could include to dazzle us with your reading skills!

    ReplyDelete